How much do you know about diamonds? These are pretty crystal-like pieces, that make you want to spend a lot of money. Yet why would you spend? Diamonds are expensive jewels that are found deep under the earth. Coal miners work hard to extract them and the processing is even tougher. There is another type to these, and they are the synthetic or man made diamonds. Let us know a little about these precious stones, so you have reasons to buy man made diamond engagement rings.
Craftsmen put diamonds into a lot of pressure and under high temperature to bring it to shape. It takes a lot of hard work and precision to do the job, which escalates the price of the final product. There are two segments of diamonds available in the market – the ones that are synthetic and the ones that are mined. They differ from each other on the basis of clarity, price, quality, and cut.
Man made diamond engagement rings are highly in demand for their characteristics. Real diamonds are real minerals extracted from the earth. If you ask a diamond lover to choose, they won’t settle for anything less than the real deal.
The making of Man Made Diamond Engagement Rings
Man made diamond engagement rings are slightly lower than extracted diamonds rings. The sellers claim that the man made diamonds help customers save at least 30 to 40 percent compared to mined diamonds. However, that is not always true. There’s only a little difference in the price when compared. While the real diamonds have a dignified resale value, the man made diamonds have much less. You must these facts before buying any type of diamond.
How are man made diamonds made?
- The man-made or synthetic diamonds are cultivated from carbon plate, which is basically known as a seed in general
- The seed is processed in a microwave chamber to add pressure
- The process then needs hydrogen and methane gases
- Next step involves pumping energy into the chamber that ignites the glowing plasma ball
- Carbon molecules rain on the seed, forming a layer on top of it. This forms natural crystallization process.
- To complete the process, it takes almost 6 to 10 weeks.
- After the completion of the process, diamond is obtained. This is cut with a laser and then polished. It then needs certification to be truest of its form.
- The word ‘lab-grown’ is lasered on the side of the jewel. There is a code added to the piece so that customers are not fooled by quality.
The long process produces the glittering man made diamonds which have captured the market on a large scale. These can also be processed into colors that attract more demand.
Colored diamonds are much more attractive than the white ones. Before you opt for any design of man made diamond jewelry, you should consider certain factors which decide it’s worth.
How to shop for the best Man Made Diamond Engagement Rings?
If you are a diamond expert you might already know how to pick the best ones in terms of its quality. For all those who are still struggling to find the details of the top-notch diamond quality, take help from the points below:
- Before you pay the final price for a man made diamond, make it a point to ask for guarantee or warranty on the jewel. Ask about the conditions related to what the company offers if the diamond is lost or damaged.
- Ask for the certification as offered by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). This ensures that the diamond has been designed with quality, properly cut, meets clarity grades, and has the best color. This certification provides you assurance and value.
- Avoid purchasing man made diamond engagement rings that are plated. These might be costlier than the real ones in the long run. Try purchasing the ones fabricated with stronger metals.
The most common myths about man-made diamonds!
Man made is not real, and what’s real is billions of years old. What you pay for man made diamonds are less than what real diamonds, and that does make a difference. The sellers might promise you a lot of things, which may or may not be true. The seller primarily needs to boosts their sales, and hence a lot of unreal promises are often made. You should be aware of the myths that prevail, have a look at some common ones mentioned below:
Man made is not Cubic Zirconia
Make sure you do not confuse man made diamond engagement rings with Cubic Zirconia. The Cubic Zirconia diamonds have become popular in the markets today. These are way more affordable than the real or man made options. You need to be sure of the substance you buy, so make sure you have a complete idea of the material and all the proof.
Man-made diamond engagement rings in seamless designs
Every jeweler selling man made diamonds adopts a policy, which talks about offering seamless diamonds at affordable prices. Can this be true in all the cases? Nothing can be claimed unless all certifications are thoroughly checked.
There are a few dealers in the market, which only focuses on quality. Everyone might not be real about the processing of man made diamonds. So, going deep into the certification process is essential.
The price tag surely is found to be very close to the real diamond, but the quality definitely lacks at some point or the other. This is most common with white diamonds. The cost of cutting real diamonds is too high, compared to processing synthetic diamonds – hence the quality varies.
What if the dealer claims ‘All Cubic Zirconia is same’?
If your dealer is claiming this, he is surely hiding something from you. Although in the process of manufacturing cubic zirconia, the ingredients used are the same. The cost of this stone is much less than the synthetic diamonds. The cooling, polishing, and the cutting processes differ, so does the price. Cubic zirconia diamonds are more affordable but have plenty of options.
Amorphous diamond coating brings no change to diamond quality
The majority of diamond selling companies don’t have the necessary sources to accomplish amorphous coating for the synthetic diamonds. Thus, the claim doesn’t make any noticeable difference. In the actual case, this process makes the diamond look more glittery and shiny – adding more quality and value to the jewel. However, lack of resources makes the sellers say that it is not good for the man made engagement rings.
With the myths explained above, you now know the factors that you need to be aware of. The synthetic product cannot be as good as the real ones. Man made diamonds are easily available considering the easier process of manufacturing. Real diamonds are billions of years old and require a lot of hard work to obtain.
The next time you decide to spend on the man made diamond, make sure you compare its cut, polish, and design. This is what you are paying for, and you should be particular about what you buy. Deal with a seller who is certified to sell quality diamonds and of course, beware of the myths. Consider all these factors as they will lead you to the best product available in the market.